Serves 2 hungry hikers
250g penne pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic
4 – 6 anchovies
2 tablespoons capers
¼ cup chopped black or kalamata olives
400g tin crushed tomatoes
Fresh basil leaves
Pecorino to serve
- Cook pasta as normal. Rinse and set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in saucepan, add anchovies and stir until dissolved.
- Add garlic and cook until softened.
- Add crushed tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir through olives, capers and basil and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Spread pasta out on dehydrator trays and place in dehydrator at 55 degrees for 2 – 4 hrs.
- Spread puttanesca sauce on a solid dehydrator tray or on baking paper in a thin layer. Dehydrate at 55 degrees for 8 – 12 hours until hard and brittle.
- Store pasta sauce together in a ziplock bag.
- Rehydrate with approx. 1 -2 cups of water.
- Serve with grated pecorino.