I’ve always got a handful or two of scroggin in my pack, along with muesli bars as snacks when I’m hiking. Then I came across this recipe from the lovely folk at Mediterranean Market in Queenstown, NZ for Scroggin Cookies (ie. Biscuits) and thought I’d give it a whirl.
I decided to change the recipe a bit to reduce the amount of sugar and they turned out a treat! Delicious, easy, quick and full of good stuff.
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (great sugar alternative from health food stores)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup craisins
- 1/4 cup toasted whole almonds
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 75g melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180c (350F)
- Mix all the dry ingredients into a bowl
- Add the melted butter, vanilla essence and the slightly beaten egg. Mix well until the dough is smooth.
- Roll the biscuits in your hands into golf ball sized balls and place on a greased or baking paper lined tray. Flatten slightly with a fork.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden.